Wednesday 4 July 2012

Tales From The Tearooms, The Royal Exchange Cafe

 The Royal Exchange in Manchester has to be my absolute favourite place in this great city. I have seen so many sublime performances in its innovative theatre, indeed my love of theatre was sparked off by watching Robert Lindsay play Hamlet here in 1983. I love the airy space of the old cotton exchange with its original, grand, Victorian architecture and within its great hall, the futuristic theatre.
The cafe in the Great Hall is open 9:30 to 7:30 daily and serves a good selection of cakes, drinks, soup and sandwiches. The cakes are delicious and a bit more quirky than usual cafe fayre. My daughter and I love to come in for a break from shopping, but I feel equally comfortable on my own.
 The Craft Shop is a real Aladdin's cave of off-beat hand-made jewellery, pottery, glassware, art and other assorted crafts. I have bought many gifts here and could not resist this owl by ceramicist Hannah Turner.
So, if you are in Manchester and need a fuel-stop, pop into the Royal Exchange, you won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment